Suez Shipyard History
Suez shipyard has been established since more than 152 years ago. The history of Suez Shipyard back to the Khedive Said (1854- 1863), who began to build the dry dock or graven dock when an agreement has been signed between the governor of Egypt ” Prince Saied ” and French company to construct a graven dock for ship repair and shipbuilding with principal dimension 140 m length and 25 m width.
Which was created in October 1866 to serve the ships of the Egyptian fleet and ships company Azizia of cleanliness and reconstruction and reform, where he was the nearest dock in Bombay, India, so it is known as the Khedivial shipyard.
- The opening of the dry dock was in the reign of Khedive Ismail (1863-1879).
- On 1963 becomes one of an affiliated company of Suez Canal Authority.
- On 1967 because of the aggression of the Israeli military and the fact that the Suez area became theater of military operations Administration Company has taken a temporary headquarters in Cairo in front of the bridge Treaty in Mostorod where the company has to work in the manufacture of tanks, bridges, trusses, and continued to work the main place in the Suez kept working groups to run dry dock , Syncrolift and workshops of Company in the marine units of the armed forces which was limited working out on the war effort service, in the period from 1967 to the end of 1973.
- The company returned to Suez in early 1974 to the Suez was to keep the company’s location in Mostorod where he became a branch of the company till now.
- And then a new branch has been added to the Suez shipyard at Kilo 3 on Ismailia – Suez road within the development plan and development activities.
- In June 1999 at Port Tewfik, The Houd Dars area has been allocated to the Suez shipyard to carry out the repairs of small naval units.